Much like traditional metal braces, Damon braces use metal brackets and wires to correct the alignment of your teeth. However, instead of the wire attaching to the brackets using elastic O-rings, the wire is attached to Damon braces through small metal doors with sliding mechanisms. Where traditional metal braces need to be manually tightened, Damon braces are self-ligating or self-tightening. Because the braces are self-ligating, your teeth can move more freely, and they can often move faster. In fact, many patients with Damon braces complete treatment for up to 6 months faster. You typically require fewer office visits. Also, maintaining your oral hygiene is easier, reducing your risk for cavities and decalcification.
If you have crooked teeth, your entire life can be affected. Not only do crooked teeth impact the quality of your smile, but they can also lead to potentially serious oral health issues. Crooked teeth provide hiding places for oral bacteria, increasing your risk for cavities and gum disease. They can also throw off your bite, leading to issues such as bruxism and TMJ disorder. Metal braces have been the solution for correcting alignment issues with your teeth and jaws for decades, providing highly effective results. At Sawrie Orthodontics, we offer Damon braces to meet your orthodontic needs and alleviate these problems.
Damon Braces vs. Traditional Braces
Like traditional braces, Damon braces use brackets and wires to realign crooked teeth. Instead of elastic O-rings to hold the wires in place on the brackets, however, the Damon brackets are equipped with sliding mechanisms that make them self-ligating. The wires are attached to the brackets by these sliding mechanisms, which tighten the wires on their own as your teeth are moved. Because Damon braces are self-ligating, they provide for a more natural movement of your teeth during treatment. You do not have to worry about having them tightened at every orthodontic visit. Instead, they tighten themselves. Because they do not need to be adjusted, the wires, also called memory wires, place less pressure on your teeth and your periodontal ligaments. With Damon braces, the need for palatal expanders and tooth extractions can also be eliminated.
Experience the Benefits of Damon Braces
Damon braces, like traditional braces, are a very effective treatment for correcting the alignment of your teeth. This treatment also offers several other significant benefits.
- The sliding mechanism tightens your wires automatically. This allows for freer movement of your teeth.
- Because Damon braces are self-ligating, your teeth move faster, which can help to reduce your overall treatment time. In many cases, patients complete treatment with Damon braces up to 6 months faster.
- The wires place less pressure on your teeth and your periodontal ligaments. This helps to make treatment much more comfortable than treatment with traditional braces.
- Without the need for manual tightening of the wires, you need fewer office visits throughout the duration of your treatment.
Less friction means less bone erosion.
- Maintaining oral hygiene is easier. This aids in reducing your risk of developing tooth decay and cavities. Damon braces also reduce your risk for decalcification or small white scars that mar the appearance of your teeth.
- Fewer aesthetic issues. The brackets and wires of Damon braces are metal,
there are no elastic O-rings. This helps to make them more discreet. We also offer Damon Clear, which uses ceramic or clear brackets, further reducing visibility.
Damon braces provide you with a more comfortable alternative to the traditional style of metal braces, making your treatment a more pleasant one. For more information on Damon braces, and to find out if they are right for you, call Sawrie Orthodontics today at (423) 624-8217.