Damon Clear is a type of Damon braces that uses self-ligating brackets. Much like regular Damon braces, the brackets have small doors that hold the wire in place and tighten as your teeth move. However, instead of silver brackets, Damon Clear uses ceramic or clear brackets. The wire is typically metal, although it can be made from a clear material as well. With ceramic or clear brackets, Damon Clear is a much more discreet treatment, while still providing you with the same incredible results as regular Damon braces.
Crooked teeth have a major impact on the quality of your smile and can significantly decrease your confidence. They can increase your risk for tooth decay and gum disease, providing hiding places for oral bacteria and plaque that are difficult to fully clean, and can lead to tooth grinding, TMJ disorder, and even neck and back pain. Metal braces have long been the treatment of choice for correcting crooked teeth and jaws. However, many individuals who want straighter teeth avoid treatment because they do not want to deal with metal in their smiles. At Sawrie Orthodontics, we can provide a more discreet way to correct alignment issues with Damon Clear.
Treating Alignment Issues With Braces
Metal braces have been used for decades to treat crooked teeth. They use brackets and wires to move your teeth. The brackets are bonded to the front surfaces of each tooth. A wire spans across the arch of teeth, attached to each bracket using an elastic O-ring. The wires are responsible for moving your teeth. They place pressure on your teeth, which then widens the periodontal ligaments. The wires then work to guide your teeth to where they need to go. Despite being an effective treatment, metal braces are also highly visible. Their visibility is a major source of self-consciousness.
What Is Damon Clear?
Damon Clear is a type of Damon braces. Instead of holding the wires to the brackets with elastic O-rings, Damon braces have a sliding mechanism. This mechanism automatically tightens the wire as your teeth move into proper alignment. Damon braces, like traditional braces, are metal. However, Damon Clear uses ceramic or clear brackets, which make them much more discreet. The wire itself is usually metal, but it is also available in the clear as well.
Damon Clear Vs. Clear Aligners
Clear aligners like Invisalign® are a popular option for treating alignment issues. This treatment uses removable clear plastic aligners rather than brackets and wires to correct tooth alignment. While popular, clear aligners are not for everyone. If you have severe alignment issues, aligners cannot correct them.
Benefits of Damon Clear Braces
Damon Clear provides numerous benefits. These benefits include:
- They are more discreet. The ceramic brackets blend in with your natural teeth, making them much less obvious.
- Treatment time is reduced. While treatment times vary based on your specific needs, results with Damon Clear are often achieved up to 6 months sooner. The sliding mechanisms on the brackets tighten the wires automatically, rather than having to wait until your scheduled visits.
- Treatment is more comfortable. Traditional braces need to be manually tightened, which can cause discomfort. Because Damon Clear tightens itself, there is less pressure on your teeth and your periodontal ligaments.
- Oral hygiene is easier. Without elastic O-rings, braces and your teeth are easier to keep clean, reducing the risk of tooth decay, cavities, and decalcification.
- Fewer office visits. Due to the self-tightening nature of Damon Clear, you do not need to have as many office visits. This means less disruption in your schedule.
If you have crooked teeth but have avoided treatment because the thought of a shiny metal smile makes you self-conscious or anxious, Damon Clear can help. For more information, and to find out if Damon Clear is right for you, call Sawrie Orthodontics today at (423) 624-8217.